Re: Monitors & Y2000 bug

>Dennis Keeling wrote--->
>What is the preferred monitor to use in a telecine suite?
...deletia...

Dennis,

There are a few makes of monitor that will work as "A" grade.  Each make
has it's own quirks, some are more stable than others and some are easier
than others to calibrate.  I won't get in to a spitting war over whose is
better although I do have my own strong (and private) opinions on this.
Look in to Asaca, Barco, Ikegami, Panasonic, and Sony for their top end
units.  Look for standardized phosphors for accurate displays.  Most
facilities use SMPTE C phosphors for NTSC and EBU phosphors for PAL and
SECAM.

Here's my wish list for the ideal monitor (which doesn't exist yet).
Absolutely flat faceplate (or projection surface), contrast ratio of at
least 150 to 1, very wide color gamut (equal to or better than the original
NTSC specs of 1953 for RGB phosphor coordinates), 16:9 aspect screen, 48
inch or larger screen, Multiscan capable to accommodate any standard for
now or the future, built in scaler to convert interlace to progressive
display, built in decoding circuitry to take any digital or analog source
including computer outputs (SVGA, Mac, etc.), self calibrating via a high
quality sensor with CIE standard observer sensing curves for setting both
absolute brightness levels and grey scale tracking, exactly matching gamma
curves for RGB,  extremely stable scan sizes and geometry and color
tracking, user friendly controls, under/overscan, pulse cross, bright even
non-blooming white field, very wide viewing angle with no color shift at
different angles.  And can we get this for under $20,000?

* Dave Corbitt <dc at mte.com>	  *
* Director of Telecine Engineering*
* Manhattan Transfer / Edit, Inc. *
* 545 Fifth Ave			  *