Re: Avid telecine

Michael Walker wrote:

> >Are there many houses recording dailies directly to the Avid?
>
> There are  at 4 houses in LA that have MRT's.
>
> >Is the Avid system difficult to incorporate?
>
> We used it for about 4 weeks on a feature and had no problems once Avid got
> the software working. It does require someone who is basically an Avid
> assistant to get the material setup for delivery to the client. In our
> case, we were generating one master clip, merging in a database and having
> the system subclip to the database. The client decided to discontinue the
> xfer straight to disk, but from our point of view, it was very successful.

I agree completely.   The MRT was a well designed system and Joel Swan of Avid
was committed to making it ever more useful.  It did, though, require the
oversight of an alert assistant familiar with the Avid.  It wasn't an addition
to the process that you couild just plug in.  I've always felt that Avid's
approach here made certain assumtions that reflected their experiences with
editors whom, anxious to enbrace their innovative new products put out a lot
of energy to become familiar with their products.

It's "flaw" (if it can be characterized that way) was the difficulty in
marketing it.  On the surface it was conceptually very attractive - direct to
disk with associated data.  But because of the many types of programs and
methods of editorial approach it was never always appropriate to every
situation.  Essentially, for many editors it was important to them to be able
to view and decide just what and how (subclipping) the elements would be
digitized.  Avid attempted to address this by suggesting an alternative
whereby just the data was collected.  In the end its' use, like any tool, had
to be thoughtfully considered with the various members of a project to see if
it would actually result in any savings or support the creative process by
relieving the editor from certain drugery's.

In one example, in which over 150,000 ft of 16mm was shot, the DP who was also
the editor sat in on the transfer (while it was going to disk) and so began
the editorial portion well informed, without have to wait further for
digitization.  It was estimated that over a week was saved in the Avid, not to
mention the extra billing gained in telecine.

Tim Bond
Du Art Film and Video