Transfomania

The Ursa Gold at SMA is fitted with Meta-Speed, Twigi, RTS Gates,
Teleshade Filter, etc. Except for the Pack-Rite Rollers, the new
paint job and 4 fans. We, and our clients regard this Ursa as a
Diamond.

Now, on to the test.....

When Eli and Billy informed me that they thought that the best way to
compare the Ursa and the Spirit was to use tk primaries only without
noise reduction, I was slightly bemused. I observed after the test
that they were operating the Spirit in a mode that is often used with
clients in regular sessions i.e. without noise reduction.

The only instance in which noise reduction is not used with the Ursa
is when they are transferring film that will be ultimatte
composited in house: the normal way we approach these jobs is to
noise reduce the ultimatte output, not the Ursa. In every other
circumstance, unless the client has absolutely demanded no noise
reduction, we use the noise reducer. We have to, in order to make
pictures that are acceptable for commercial work.

Noise reduction in telecine work is just a fact of life....either for
technical reasons (Improving the signal to noise ratio) or creative
reasons (make the product pop out from the background).

Dave Satin
Executive Vice President       212.226.7474/V
Director of Engineering        212.941.0439/F
SMA Video Inc.

100 6th Avenue 10th Floor
New York, N.Y. 10013-1689