Re: Us vs. Them

In a message dated 98-04-04 13:57:56 EST, mmost at encorevideo.com writes:

<< Subj:	 Re: Us vs. Them
 Date:	98-04-04 13:57:56 EST
 From:	mmost at encorevideo.com (Michael D. Most)
 To:	telecine at xyzoom.alegria.com

 >Granted I work in the lowly world of series television, and not in the more
 >pricey world of commercials, but am I the only one here who feels that the
 >entire Spirit/C Reality debate is way off the mark in terms of what the
 >future will bring?

Spirit and C-Reality _are_ the future, because they do/will do exactly what
you are mentioning:

> Film scanners are not necessary
 >for series television. HiDef telecines are. I would be far more excited by a
 >working, 24 FPS based system for daily transfer that provides for real
 >advances in terms of better and more accurate film tracking, lower
 >compression ratios (we WILL be recording in compressed formats, folks), and
 >simpler synching.

Spirit and C-Reality are(& will be) hi-def, real time!  On the Spirit,
switching to HiDef is a push of a button.  It runs in real time.  Scanning at
this juncture is icing on the cake.

 >Isn't there at least one Japanese company who has promised
 >this? Doesn't anyone else here find any of this relevant?

I'm concerned about the quality of that particular device because CBS saw fit
to pass over super 16 film origination for HDTV network programming, based on
transfers from that telecine. The Tape House SMPTE HDTV demo of the Spirit
showed that super16 was indeed capable of an excellent picture.

I may be misunderstanding your question here, but that's how I saw it.

Bob Lovejoy
Shooters Post & Transfer