Re: an animus

Rob Lingelbach wrote:

> And I don't think it should take the
> place of real debate on the TIG, because it's difficult to debate
> someone you can't identify.

Rob,

Despite the occasional indelicate postings that may be encountered among any
gathering, I don't think that that is reason enough to sideline the potential
value of one of the most attractive aspects of online discussion - that is, the
richness of ideas that can occur in a discussion where the participants can
discuss topics free from the "yoke" of identity.

I do agree that requiring identity is a useful way to foster responsibility in
postings.  However,  I don't think that it is a stretch to suggest that there
must be some out there who hesitate to post questions or opinions.  I can't say
that I know what a good middle ground could be.  But considering how even
handedly you have moderated the group, I can't help but wonder "what if"
identity were optional with the benefit of your responsible moderation when
appropriate?

Tim Bond
DuArt Film & Video

---
Thanks to Preferred Video Products for supporting the TIG in 1998..
No product marketing allowed on the main TIG.  Contact rob at alegria.com
945 subscribers in 36 countries on Fri Apr 10 17:30:17 PDT 1998