Re: Flame/Inferno Coloring

>At 02:12 AM 3/28/98 +1000, Byron wrote:
>
>>Jeez Craig, don't overheat now. I don't think the situation is at all
>>like this.
>>Martin started the thread by seeking others thoughts on the question of
>>cc in Flame vs cc in TK.  Here's how I see it....

Hello Byron.

I appreciate what you've said and I agree with you. My "overheatedness" --
tounge in cheek as it was, was promted by Martin's quoting of someone he
works with who said something like; "We always have to re-color, I don't
know why they even bother" I have also heard things like this, as well as
"Why do people shoot on film? we can do the same shots in Inferno/Flame" or
"Flame's color corrector is really great now, we should be able to do a
whole session if we need to". My comments, which should have included more
of the internet mandatory ;->'s , were really meant to emphasize the idea
behind specialization and what person is more appropriate for what role.
With DaVinci's new 2K color corrector it could even be argued that colorists
might actually start cutting their own mattes, relighting shots, and
tracking objects ( even more than we do now). The main point is; who has the
skill and is the most appropriate for the job. The answer I am suggesting is
that colorists know color correction intimately and that in most cases ( as
Bob Festa very candidly pointed out) we could even/ sometimes do take a
second crack at the composited image and make it better. Of course elements
that are being layered upon each other/ next to each other need to be
re-tweaked, it makes sense. The bravado I hear about how easy it is or what
is the point is unwanted and unjustified. The real answers vary facility to
facility based upon what talent is there and what each person is capable of
-- no matter what equipment they drive.

>>Also, I resent being called a 'tablet geek', you, you, nnnnnnnNob
>>twiddler! ;)

My appologies again, but I am, happily, A knob twister, a glorified button
pusher, a ball spinner, a panel tapper, and whatever else you can think of.
>It's what I do, I'm stickin to it.

Happy knob twiddlin,

Craig

Craig Leffel
Senior Colorist
Optimus, Inc.
Chicago, IL  60611
312-321-0880
acleffel at mindspring.com

---
Thanks to Videotek for supporting the TIG in 1998..
No product marketing allowed on the main TIG.  Contact rob at alegria.com
949 subscribers in 36 countries on Fri Mar 27 14:29:49 PST 1998