Re: Using filters

Martin Euredjian wrote:

> What is your prefered setup procedure when using colored filters during a
> transfer?  I'm talking about what you do when you go from no filtration to
> color filter.
>
> Do you setup without filtration for a balanced (or whatever is called for)
> look, then insert the filter and adjust gain to compensate for insertion
> loss?

Wouldn't it be nice if it were just a gain adjustment . . .    Always a little
bit of remixing too.  But, while I like exploring new looks, I find the use of
filters slightly aggrevating because their effect is not predictable.  I have
heard others speak glowingly of filter sets, and I've wondered if I'm using a
substandard set - perhaps other suppliers have developed sets that work
particulary well with the various light sources that are specific to each
telecine.

But, yes I start with a basic mix as a reference point before I add a filter.

Tim Bond
Du Art Film & Video

---
Thanks to Videotek for supporting the TIG in 1998..
No product marketing allowed on the main TIG.  Contact rob at alegria.com
948 subscribers in 36 countries on Fri Mar 27 09:45:09 PST 1998