Emmy: Shubin plea

From: Mark Schubin <MSCHUBIN/0001970179 at MCIMAIL.COM>
To: ITS Mail <itsmail at itsnet.org>; John Sprung
<john_sprung at paramount.com>
Subject: [ITS]Assistance on Engineering Emmy investigation
Date: Wednesday, March 25, 1998 6:40 PM

25 March 1998               N   N   OOO   TTTTT
                            NN  N  O   O    T
First, THIS INFORMATION IS  N N N  O   O    T   -NOT- FOR PUBLICATION!!
                            N  NN  O   O    T
                            N   N   OOO     T

Many thanks.

Yesterday, the Engineering Achievement Awards Committee of the
National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences held its technology
investigation vote.  This is separate from the Hollywood-based
Academy of Television Arts & Sciences Engineering Achievement Awards
Committee.

One of the technologies accepted for investigation for the
possibility of one or more Emmy Awards (or none) is "Pioneering
Development of a Film Scratch Removal System for Telecines."  I am
chairing the subcommittee investigating that technology, and my
report is due mid-May.

The Committee's rules prevent anyone who might get an award for the
technology from chairing the subcommittee that investigates it.
Thus, those of us who chair the subcommittees sometimes know little
or nothing about the technology being investigated at the start of
our investigations.  I think you may safely place me in the "nothing"
category at the moment.  All I know is what came on the nomination
form, which suggests that a wet-gate technology rescued film from
scratches and dirt in the days when film commercials were projected
"live."  That doesn't necessarily mean that pioneering developments
in electronic scratch removal are ineligible.

There is no reverse time limit on the Committee's awards.  Last year,
we gave an Emmy for the wireless remote control (invented in the
50s).

So, HELP!

If you have any clue about where I should be looking, please let me
know.  I could use information about:
     - what was used for the scratch-removal process
     - how it worked
     - who created it
     - who used it
     - how significant it was (i.e., does it deserve an Emmy?)
     - when it became significant
     - who (if anyone) got a patent on it
     - what papers (if any) were published about it
     - who else to talk to

Someone please post this request to the Telecine Interest Group.
Feel free to copy this and distribute it at will, but remember that
it is NOT for publication, and there is always the possibility that
NO award will be given for this technology this year.

Feel free to contact me by phone, e-mail, fax, or snail mail, all 24-
hours-a-day/7-days-a-week:

Mark Schubin
40 West 72nd Street, Apartment 43
New York, NY 10023-4104
voice - 212 579-4147
fax   - 212 870-4520
e-mail: mschubin at mcimail.com

If you prefer, you may contact my co-chair, Dave Dever of Quantel.

If you think YOU might deserve an award for this technology (it can
go to an individual, a company, or an organization), then I need to
send you a special questionnaire to fill out, and you must return one
copy to me and one to the Academy to keep me honest.

Again, MANY thanks!

In case any of you have any information relating to the other
technologies under investigation, here they are, with the names and
phone and fax numbers of the subcommittee heads (no gripes about what
was or wasn't selected for investigation, please; join the committee
next year and throw your weight around then):

- Pioneering Development of a Digital Bi-Directional Triaxial
Transmission Link for DSP Camera Systems - Paul Berger, CBS, phone -
212-975-4314, fax - 212-975-1715

- Pioneering Development of a Multichannel Digital Audio Bit-Rate
Reduction System, Standardized for the ATSC High-Definition and
Standard-Definition Television Systems and for Worldwide Digital
Versatile Discs - Peter Dare, Sony, phone - 408-955-5331, fax - 408-
955-5301

- High-Definition Intra-field Compression Adapter Technology for Full
Bit-Rate 4:2:2, 10-Bit, 1/2-inch, Component Digital Recorders -
Warren Singer, Video Technology Resources, phone - 212-889-9093, fax
- 212-889-9171

- Developments in Advanced Battery Technology for ENG and EFP - Dan
Desmet, Barco, phone - 770-963-6593, fax - 770-590-8836

- Pioneering Development of Lens-line Prompting Systems - Dave Dever,
Quantel, phone - 203-656-3100, fax - 203-656-3459

- Broadcast-quality 6.35mm Component Digital ENG/EFP Recording
Technology - Dave Acker, AJ Technology, phone - 617-969-0547, fax -
617-969-3889

- Pioneering Development of a Real-time, Multi-resolution (SDTV,
HDTV, & Data) Film Scanner System - Peter Symes, Tek/GVG, phone -
916-478-3437, fax - 916-478-3887

- Development and Implementation of a Multi-channel Disk-based
Commercial Insertion System for On-Air Broadcast Television
Operations - Dave Walters, Snell & Wilcox, phone - 407-332-7814, fax
- 407-332-1906

- Development and Implementation of Digital Uncompressed Tapeless
Recording and Playback Technology for Television Broadcast and Post-
production Operations - Seth Haberman, Montage, phone - 212-769-4100,
fax - 212-595-7754

- Implementation of Time Delay/Instant Replay in the Dynamic
Production Environment - Tom Moore, Panasonic, phone - 201-392-6176,
fax - 201-392-6558

- Technology to Enable "Point-of-action" Video - Gene DeSantis, phone
- 212-391-1313, fax - 212-391-2744

rob at teklab.com                    KB6CUN   http://www.alegria.com

---
Thanks to Videotek for supporting the TIG in 1998..
No product marketing allowed on the main TIG.  Contact rob at alegria.com
946 subscribers in 36 countries on Thu Mar 26 20:19:36 PST 1998