Interpolation

Martin wrote:
>I'm not sure what you mean.  To interpolate is to create a data point in
>between two existing data points.  Interpolation would create more pixels.
>Are you talking about averaging or some sort of filtering that would take
>into account the surrounding pixels to make-up a new value?

Actually, removing data samples is called decimation, and should include a
filtering step to avoid artifacts, as Paul pointed out. Imagine, for
example, a texture in the original scene which contained vertical lines
that happened to fall on every second pixel in the 4k scan. If these pixels
are merely dropped then the texture disappears. If a filtering process is
used, then the resulting image will contain some hint of the original
texture...

(My $.02)

Tom

Tom Montgomery
tmontgom at miranda.com

---
Thanks to Peter Stansfield for supporting the TIG in 1998..
No product marketing allowed on the main TIG.  Contact rob at alegria.com
946 subscribers in 36 countries on Wed Mar 25 08:39:51 PST 1998