Re: Flame/Inferno Coloring

>Martin Euredjian wrote:
>

>> I keep hearing comments from Flame/Inferno operators about how "we had
>> color-correct every shot we got from telecine"...

Word of caution here.  The computer monitors used in SGI workstations have
non-standard phosphors of a smaller color gamut than the "A" grade
broadcast monitors used in Telecine suites.  They are also more difficult
or should I say impossible to calibrate to the specs used in telecine
suites. The image displayed on the Inferno or Flame hi-res monitor will
most likely have display errors of colorimetry as well as absolute levels
of black, gamma, and highlight brightness, all due to the monitor itself.
This will effect the perceived appearance of the images greatly.  It is
also my experience that the lighting in an Infoerno or Flame room is
oftentimes not controlled as it is in telecine rooms for color temperature
and illumination level.  This will also effect the way the display is
perceived.  Make sure that when doing "color correction" in these rooms you
are not "correcting" for the monitor and the room ambient lighting.

   -----------------------------
* Dave Corbitt <dc at mte.com>	  *
* Director of Telecine Engineering*
* Manhattan Transfer / Edit, Inc. *
* 545 Fifth Ave			  *
* New York, NY 10017		  *
 * vox (212) 687-4000		 *
  * fax (212) 687-8023		*

---
Thanks to Peter Stansfield for supporting the TIG in 1998..
No product marketing allowed on the main TIG.  Contact rob at alegria.com
945 subscribers in 36 countries on Wed Mar 25 03:35:44 PST 1998