Re: Full Bandwidth Color Difference

> full bandwitdth RGB is certainly better than YUV no matter what your
> working on.

I'm sorry... are you saying that (to use a realistic example)  10 bit  4:4:4
RGB is better than 10 bit 4:4:4 YCbCr ?
Also, if you are working on a Quantel box, where YCbCr is the native format
you are ahead of the game because you avoid color-space conversions during
in/out.  In this case RGB wouldn't be better, right?

Other than color-space conversion issues what are we talking about here?

At one point my rule of how to buy guitars might be applicable here:  If you
can't hear a difference don't pay for the difference.

At what point is all this technical stuff nothing less than digit-head
nitpicking (I am one, so I can say this).  A finished product is intended to
be consumed by humans, not machines.  If human perception deems it adequate
or better than what was before... well, how much more do we argue about
loosing a bit here or there.  The MPEG, JPEG, etc. folks figured all this
stuff out a while ago.

If we wanted to be as close to techical perfection as possible --the goal
being to capture as much of the information contained in the negative for
further processing--  we should all be using Cineon (or Imagica, or
whatever) scanners at 4K  and 14 bits linear.  If we are talking about
getting shows, MOW's, promos, commercials, etc. done in a flowing real-time
(or near) environment any of the currently available technologies are more
than adequate for the task at hand (In my humble opinion).

-Martin

---
Thanks to Peter Stansfield for supporting the TIG in 1998..
No product marketing allowed on the main TIG.  Contact rob at alegria.com
946 subscribers in 36 countries on Wed Mar 25 01:50:42 PST 1998