Re: the TV part of HDTV

>I  don't think that is right,  it is already  happening! There are already
>multiple facilities (on studio premises and off) in town that do just that
>with theatrical releases. One final film product transfered to one final
>HDTV product down-converted to many SDTV products. This occurs with little
>cost issue to the studio as a customer. The transition to TV episodic and
>MOW's  will cause few problems for those that want to, or must, satisfy
>their clients.

With enormous respect for what Larry (Chernoff) has already said regarding
the logic and economics of moving upstream in technology, I think you are
overlooking some key differences between the feature mastering market and
episodic television. There are very, very few producers and/or post
production executives who are willing to abandon the all-electronic post
production route that has been established in the last 10 years or so. As
logical as it is to simply assemble a negative and then transfer it to hi
def or any other format, there is no move to do so. There are various
reasons for this, primarily the fact that many producers now working in
television simply weren't around when we finished on film and have fully
embraced the notion that any aspect of the program can be changed right up
until air, a situation that is better accommodated by an all-electronic
finish. Even the economic sensibility of the approach won't be enough to
convince producers and studios to lock picture early enough to allow a film
finish. The only simlarity between feature mastering and episodic television
is that both are shot on film and transferred to an electronic format. This
applies to nearly all current network television programs (NYPD Blue, ER,
and Law & Order notwithstanding). Larry's points regarding ancillary hi def
equipment that is no longer really ancillary (Henry, Editbox, Flame, Fire,
etc., etc.) are even more significant when regarded in the context of a
world in which electronic finishing will not be supplanted, even by cost
effective, proven methods of the past.

Mike Most, Encore Video, L.A.

---
Thanks to Complete Post L.A. for supporting the TIG in 1998..
No product marketing allowed on the main TIG.  Contact rob at alegria.com
957 subscribers in 36 countries on Thu Mar 19 17:53:53 PST 1998