RE: the TV part of HDTV

	-----Original Message-----
	From:	Mike Most [SMTP:mmost at encorevideo.com]
	Sent:	Thursday, March 19, 1998 2:56 PM
	To:	multiple recipients of
	Subject:	RE: the TV part of HDTV

	Mike Most wrote:
		So the answer probably is, that vendors will do whatever
the market demands they do. But someone,
	probably the networks, has to pay for it...  Not the post
facilities, who will ultimately respond to whatever they're asked to do.

	It should be abundantly clear to anyone with half a brain that
the current vehicle which will deliver HiDef to the networks (or any
other interested party) will attempt it without an engine, transmission,
gas tank, or wheels.  The nice, spiffy shine on the bodywork will not
suffice.  The problem is not the telecine, Philips did deliver.  It's
the other part of our business that remains a laggard, the finishing
end.  Ask Quantel where their HiDef EditBox is?  Ask Discreet Logic
where their HiDef Fire is?  I'll tell you where it is: It's busy
becoming a 601 down market competitor to your current technology for
which your company paid dearly.  Hearken facility worker, your job is
not threatened by your competitors.  It's the person sitting behind you
right now who covets the revenue you produce.

	HiDef is supposed to raise the barrier to entry once again
differentiating the service we perform from that of our customers.  It
is this distinction which allows us to capitalize our businesses.  It is
this distinction that creates the equilibrium needed to maintain a
balance between customer and vendor, a balance that promotes market
demand versus oversupply.  Provided that the leader at the helm knows
how to price the service, the company stands a reasonable chance of
creating a condition that will provide for the purchase of the service
for a fee that yields a profit.  It is this profit that in turn will
feed the coffers of the manufacturers propelling them on to produce more
and more machines.

	What we are in the midst of right now, is an oversupply of 601
platforms. Because key manufacturers have lagged behind in their
development of HiDef, the condition now exists wherein they must look to
another segment of the market to support a continued revenue stream;
namely our customers.

	So, Mike, who will pay for it?  ANSWER: EVERYONE!
	---
	Thanks to Complete Post L.A. for supporting the TIG in 1998..
	No product marketing allowed on the main TIG.  Contact
rob at alegria.com
	957 subscribers in 36 countries on Thu Mar 19 14:50:26 PST 1998
	complete information on the TIG website
http://www.alegria.com/tig3/

---
Thanks to Complete Post L.A. for supporting the TIG in 1998..
No product marketing allowed on the main TIG.  Contact rob at alegria.com
957 subscribers in 36 countries on Thu Mar 19 16:08:59 PST 1998