Re: Green Light

Hello all.

Well, once again a pissing match on the TIG with only a few colorists to
brave the fray.
(thanks once again to Mr. Festa, I tip my hat).   As to the others, how
quaint the lurkers here are. At the risk of being told again I "talk too
much" here, let me just add this,  :>

I have recently come off a wonderful opportunity to learn about and evaluate
the Spirit.
I must say that I am more impressed and intrigued than I have ever been with
this machine. It makes wonderful pictures. As a colorist, I just want to
know all my possible options and tools, so I am waiting to see C-reality
just like everyone else, but I am always looking to learn more.

With this recent thread I have these general questions for the group at large;

1.  What is the difference in light output between a CRT at 300 ma and a
Xenon lamp at 300 watts ?   Is there a wattage answer( for the difference)
that makes sense?

2.  In the case of negative specifically, What is the difference between
"imprinting"
an orange based image on a green biased light (CRT) , and "imprinting" it on
a relatively nuetral, (slight blue or green Xenon). Wouldn't there be some
opposite cancellation in the orange/ green scenario with a result providing
at least a partially nuetral image ( certain parts of the spectrum )? In
both scenarios isn't filtration required to remove any color bias derived
from light source or film base color ? Is the arguement here really who
provides a better filtration system?

3.  With regard to source brightness again, aren't all film scanning systems
calibrated
around a light source that will sufficiently penetrate Dmax? I believe in
the Kodak 2k and 4k scanners used with Cineon ( I can't remember the name )
this was the case. The calibration was to set a light source that remained
constant and could penetrate the Dmax of any film stock. This scenario, I
believe, left open the potential to oversaturate the pick up device when
using underexposed negative ( I would rather decide what is effective than
leave it to an auto sensor of some type). Does it not then make sense that
variable light output is crucial to making good pictures in a scanning
environment moreso than what part of the spectrum that light exists in?

Thanks to my fellow TIG'ers for letting me lay my ignorance at my feet once
again.
( it would be just ducky if someone could make sense of this shit without
reagrd to what they just bought, gonna buy, or think they would buy if they
could cause the revenue's gonna go up)

Yours in twisting,

Craig

Craig Leffel
Senior Colorist
Optimus, Inc.
Chicago, IL  60611
312-321-0880
acleffel at mindspring.com

---
Thanks to Philips for support the TIG in 1998..
No product marketing allowed on the main TIG.  Contact rob at alegria.com
952 subscribers in 36 countries on Sun Mar 15 13:16:07 PST 1998