Perfectone ROS how to use? (old)

>> Hi everyone,
I apologies if my question is a little out of the list main subject,
I bought an old Perfectone triplex: 1 recorder 2 player for 16mm magperf.
Unfortunatly the man who gave me hasn't any kind of documentation;
as I would like to genlock it whith a video signal and it has a "Pulse gen
in" on
a sort of inverter called Rythm-O-Start I would like to know which kind of
signal it needs; from a hard analysis it seem a 3 phases square or sine
signals.
Thanks in advance Matteo Ricchetti <<

The Triplex uses tri-phase and,  from memory,  it is square wave.   The BBC
in the UK used a lot of these machines during the 70's - 80's and I
actually re-installed a suite of them in the early 90's using ex-BBC
equipment.   I have not been near that installation for four or five years
so I don't now have access to the manuals, etc.

The BBC designed a card to generate bi-phase and tri-phase for these
dubbing suites - tri-phase for the Perfs and bi-phase for the Albrecht MB41
projectors which normally accompanied them.   Using this BBC card,  it was
possible to genlock to a video signal.

I would think it is now very difficult to find reliable information on
these machines since they technically became obsolete in the early 80's.
I was fortunate in my installation that I could call on the memories of
colleagues in the BBC Engineering Department who had installed the machines
in the 70's.

I assume you obtained the power supply transformer as well - the
machines required a 3-phase mains supply which usually required a rather
large and noisy transformer somewhere in the vicinity :-).  Also see if
your supplier had a stock of compliance arm dampers.   These were like gold
dust in the late 80's - early 90's and the machine's wow and flutter
performance is atrocious if the dampers are not in first class condition.
And a supply of spare relays would help as well.  Some of the relays took a
pounding under normal usage and a drawer full of spares was a normal
requirement :-).

All the best,

Jim Guthrie.
Sprockets & Bytes
Bristol, Denham, Soho, UK.

  E-mail from: Jim Guthrie, 14-Mar-1998

---
Thanks to Casablanca Finish (Sao Paulo) for support in 1998..
No product marketing allowed on the main TIG.  Contact rob at alegria.com
951 subscribers in 36 countries on Sat Mar 14 06:18:17 PST 1998