Re: NTSC Legalacy Formats

In a message dated 98-02-18 07:39:25 EST, Rich wrote:

<< 	That was the case many years ago but after a few color commercials that
aired during monochrome shows went out (without the burst being restored - it
used to be a manual process) that practice ended. Now the general practice is
to have a proc before the exciter to ensure stable sync/burst and legal
levels. Most VTRs work better with burst also - many TBCs have lock problems
when the vtr is playing back a tape without burst. That used to cause us
headaches at HBO  because Cinemax had so many classic B&W features and the
TBC-2b's were finicky. >>

Hi Rich,

Well do I remember trying to edit b&w material without burst into color
masters using first generation Sony BVH-2000s that worked with BVT-2000
timebase correctors at JCPenney Communications, ca. 1985.  What a headache!
Somebody made a gadget for TV stations that shut the subcarrier off at the
transmitter when there was no burst in the program, and restored it
automatically when color programming resumed.  We helped spoil their day
because we decided to put subcarrier on b&w tapes--we needed it to edit!  I
doubt many TV stations still turn burst off for monochrome material today, but
who knows, there may be one or two left somewhere that do.

Yet it was enough of a concern in the '70s that a "monochrome" lock mode was
considered necessary for VHS, and as far as I know, present day machines still
have it.

Best regards,
Christopher Bacon

---
Thanks to Blake Jones for support of the TIG in 1998.
No product marketing allowed on the main TIG.  Contact rob at alegria.com
923 subscribers in 36 countries on Wed Feb 18 09:54:53 PST 1998