Re: anonymity (sign posts)

>There are a few cases where this is not in the best interests of the
>posting subscriber, and I'd like to say that this shouldn't deter
>anyone from posting.

There's another type of issue to consider:  some people belong to more than
one mailing list and what might be appropriate for one isn't necessarily for
the others.

For example, I own a small company that manufactures devices for
remote-controlled model airplanes, as such I belong to a couple of mailing
lists on the subject.  In that context my work at Hollywood Digital as a
Telecine Engineer, their phone number or any other info is not relevant,
necessary or even appropriate.

More often than not I will read TIG postings at work but wait until I get
home and have some free time to reply/contribute.  Switching signatures
would be a pain if not darn near impossible (in practical terms) with some
programs.

What is needed is a version of "filtering" that allows you to say something
like:  if a message is going to the following recipients use this signature,
else, use that one, etc, etc.  Does this exist?

;   --------------------------------------------
;   Martin Euredjian
;   Telecine Engineer
;   Hollywood Digital, CA, USA
;   tel: (213) 465-0101
;   martin at hollydig.com

---
Thanks to Blake Jones for support of the TIG in 1998.
No product marketing allowed on the main TIG.  Contact rob at alegria.com
928 subscribers in 37 countries on Tue Feb 17 01:03:50 PST 1998