RE: Multiformat Telecinies

Steve Russell wrote: (My comments in parentheses)

Also to clarify the statement of Mr. Jim Mendrala - the Spirit will offer
additional DTV format compliance and this will be available later this
year. (These additional DTV format compliance options are the circuit
boards I was referring to.) We will initially support 1280 X 720 in 30P and
60P ( with pull down ) 24P will be added when there is a standard for it.
(The FCC approved DTV Standard already has the 1280 x 720p, 1929 x 1080p,
and the 480p at 24 fps and 30 fps as well. I might point out that only four
formats in the DTV standard call for interlace. The remaining 14 formats
call for progressive.) 480 progressive will also be supported again in 30P
and 60P ( with pull down ) and 24P added later.

It makes a lot of sense to start with an extremely high resolution source
and convert down to HDTV and the lower resolutions that will be required in
the new DTV standard. You can always reduce the resolution but you cannot
make resolution if you don't have it to start with. As we all know, film
makers hate to see gross amounts of image enhancement or to much aperature
correction on their product when transfered.

It is also interesting to note that at this time there are only a very few
display devices that can display the 1080 x 1920 in its full resolution.
Most 16 x 9 displays do not have the resolving power at this time to
display even the 1280 x 720 because of the shadow mask. Many 16x9 plasma or
flat panel displays that I saw at the CES show this year were only 800 x
450. Film can resolve more than 3,500 vertical lines!

Telecines will continue to evolve and eventually we'll be able to record,
digitally, the maximum resolution of the film itself in real time! That
however is still a few years off. At this time it seems that the BTS Spirit
and the new Cintel will do HDTV in real time.

Jim Mendrala
Real Image Technology, Inc.

---
Thanks to A.F. Associates for support in 1998
No product marketing allowed on the main TIG.  Contact rob at alegria.com
931 subscribers representing 36 countries on Fri Feb 13 15:59:09 PST 1998