RE>Re[3]: Transformania - the Color of Light

 >doesn't it use the sprocket holes to drive the film?  if so, how
     >can it be safe to use on transfers of original camera negative, wit
     >repeated passes?

Capstan based telecines are not too kind either, contrary to marketing hype. Having a driven rubber puck in contact with the precious negatives emulsion is not pleasant either, as used on Mk3 and Ursa's. Any slippage could cause scratches or cinch marks.
With C-Reality this has been changed so that the wrap does not place the emulsion in contact with the capstan. At last!!
Slamming any system before trying it is a little blinkered. If it was proposed that we drive film by bearing a rubber wheel onto the negative emulsion then I'm sure there would be howls of protest from the TIG.....but this is how these machines work.
I think sprocket drive could be a viable option as no emulsion area is touched which is a good start!
There are good designs and bad designs of any systems.
A good design should cover multiple pass operations.
Sprocket drive has a valuable life yet in imaging. Please don't trash it.

Paul Grace - Rushes London

---
Thanks to Craig Nichols of Todd-AO for support in 1998.
No product marketing allowed on the main TIG.  Contact rob at alegria.com
TIG subscriber count is 929 on Tue Feb 10 09:25:35 PST 1998