Re: aaton/ARRI code verses the steenbeck

J Snopes <JSnopes at aol.com> writes:

>Well, I know some documentary filmmakers who still cut on Steenbecks, and
>still think that syncing up all their own rushes (sans assistant, sans
>time code) is important -- they feel that they learn the footage, and it
>keeps them from shooting stupidly in the future, as they'll have to sync
>it all up!

>Ah, these Luddites are so disciplined!

Its not only Luddites that love Steenbecks - I spent enough years on them
trying to sort out other peoples disasters.

An editor friend of mine, who complained to a certain cameraman that he was
not shooting slates was aghast when the next days rushes turned up with an
entire roll on a slate.
The note in the can said "use as required!"

They wouldn't sack him because he was such a brilliant cameraman - and
needless to say he didn't give any more slates but he saved a hell of a lot
of film!

On docos - timecode makes it so, so much easier - I would NEVER shoot
another one without it unless it was all mute.

Regards

John Bowring
Lemac Film & Video, Australia
jbowring at lemac.com.au    www.lemac.com.au/~lemac
Phone +61 3 9429 8588 Fax +61 3 9428 3336

---
thanks to Aine Marsland and Pandora International in 1998...
no product marketing allowed on the main TIG.  Contact rob at alegria.com
TIG subscriber count is 907 on Thu Jan 22 23:59:50 PST 1998