MARKETING HELP

I am really sorry to trouble all you good people, but I am getting
increasingly concerned in case I have misunderstood something.  I have
spoken to Peter Swinson, our telecine product manager, and Terry Mead,
who has been head of advanced telecine development projects here at
Cintel for many years, and they are as confused as I am.  I hope that
someone out there can help.  You see, I have just read a new
advertisement from Philips for the Spirit, published in an American
trade magazine which has the headline "Every luscious frame digitally
scanned at 2,000 lines in real time".  And I have two questions to ask
of our colleagues at Philips.  First is to Philips.  Do you really
mean 2,000 lines?  Or do you mean 2,000 pixels per line.  There is an
awfully big difference between the two.  And second, do you mean
scanned in colour or black and white (luminance)?  Because my
understanding - and that of Peter and Terry, and of respected people
who contribute to the TIG like Mike Orton and Howard Lukk to name just
the ones who have recently commented - is that the Kodak CCD head used
in Spirit scans colour at 960 pixels per line and luminance at 1,920 pixels
per line.

Neither is actually either 2,000 pixels or the true data standard of
2,048 pixels, but we can perhaps be generous.  What we can say for
certain, though, is that Spirit actually scans colour at something a
little below 1,000 pixels per line on 720 lines at its maximum
resolution.

I have to agree of course, that you cannot get 2K pixels (and 2,000
lines) real time out of a "typical telecine ", because it is not
designed to do it.

Also in the advertisement there is a caption saying "Try that on typical
telecine".

I guess this is like advertising a Jeep for its carrying capacity, then
saying "try that on a typical Ferrari".

The simple fact is that there is no telecine - in the sense of a real
time or near real time transfer system, which responds to the creative
decisions of a colorist - on the market today which can scan 2K colour
images.  Wait just three months, though, and you will see the first
deliveries of C-Reality, which scans 2,048 pixels per line in each of
red, green and blue, and has a built in full-function colour processor
as well.

At Cintel we try to respect our competitors, and we certainly credit you
our customers with the intelligence to work out what the technology can do for
your creativity and your business.

David Fenton

PS: Can anyone tell me what you can do with real-time 2K data?  Can
anyone realistically justify the colossal hardware investment required
to handle such vast quantities of data per second in the commercial
environment of post production?

---
Thanks to Jan Janowski for support of the TIG in 1998
NO ADVERTISING allowed on the main TIG.  Contact rob at alegria.com
TIG subscriber count is 908 on Fri Jan  9 10:23:21 PST 1998