Re: Amazing (not the way you think)

Said  David Keleshian  20/12/97 5:42 :

> Well now that all has cooled off a bit, I am completely amazed
> at how people defend the Aaton device. [..]
> well talk about job security you would think after what 6 versions
> and updates for each version in the 3 digits that Aaton whould have
> got it right by now.

I am amazed at how you attack the Aaton device with this
undocumented remark.  The first Keylink was introduced 1985,
six major versions in 12 years is the norm in the computer
industry.
One of Keylink advantages is to be upgradable without internal
eprom changes. Among many others, ask Dave Corbitt or Pankaj at
manhattan Transfer, or Dave Best at PostPerfect, they will tell you
how fast Aaton reacts. They make a specific request: bingo, another
version increment (but not for immediate general release).
Over 1997 three versions have been released to mark the introduction
of new options and functionalities (that the competition was or is not
yet offering BTW).
*6.01c*  Greyfinder: Kodak TEC automatic handling on both Cintel &
Philips
         BorderMover: adjusting VideoTC+Keycode in/out points together.
*6.02e*  Instasync: on the fly audio syncing with no tape preroll.
*6.14*   EditMonitor: permanent control of edit controllers (mis)behavior.

.
> [..] And as far as shooting with no smartslate well you are setting
> yourself up for disaster..

Randy, J.Bowring and van Carlson already put an end to this debate.
But I will nevertheless make a remark in passing:
for sure -- as a film camera manufacturer --, Aaton is the
great defender of slateless shooting (a blessing for documentary
and multi-camera work) but you should have noticed that as a telecine
code-reader manufacturer Aaton offers the most comprehensive system to
handle sticks and digi-slates; in fact Keylink is the only system which
cares about both direct audioTC *and* auxilliary TC.

> I am not saying that Everts is perfect (I'm still waiting for backward
> counting capability..and yes I know Aaton can do it with no problem)
> but Everts is by far a more relaiable and predictable.

Why are so many reputed engineers and colorists saying exactly
the opposite?  It would seem from this statement that you have had
enough experience with both systems to make a comparison. But
our client list doesn't show your facility owns a Keylink; are your
remarks based on an experience you had several years ago?

--jp

Jean-Pierre Beauviala                     www.aaton.com

---
thanks to Neil Kempt for support of the TIG in 1998
TIG subscriber count is 909 on Sat Dec 20 08:33:28 PST 1997