RE: YUV/RGB Color Space Issues

If I read the posting from Discreet Logic correctly I am surprised.

What I heard was that to solve the problem they reduce the size of the RGB
color space to fit into the YUV color space.  Please tell me this isn't
true.
Here's why.

1.	RGB space is "larger" than YUV space.  Consider it a cube.  YUV can
be considered a rectangular shaped box inside YUV rotated around so that it
projects a hectagon in 2-D space.
2.	If you then reduce the levels of the big box so it fits "inside" the
smaller YUV box you get a much smaller cube.
3.	Does this process insert another level of gamma correction?

Did I misunderstand?

---
thanks to Neil Kempt for support of the TIG in 1998
TIG subscriber count is 910 on Thu Dec 18 10:29:57 PST 1997