Re: Y2K, HDTV and Telecine

1. The Sony MPV is *not* compressed. This means that in native 1080 I
mode, it records and plays back at 1.5 Gb/sec. At this point in
time, six months or so before its introduction, Sony has made no
claims that it will or will not support recording at any other DTV
format. By the way, the MPV might support up to 32 AES audio
channels. I have heard that the MPV will support GBR recording at 10
bit log with a "standard" computer interface....

2. So you say that you wish to work in 720P. Who will build your
switcher, DVE, etc? Are you willing to pay TWICE what a 1080I
switcher costs, or will you, like the rest of us, work in 1080I and
format convert for transmission?

3. The laws of physics apply to everyone in this universe, including
the Japanese and the Swedish. Just because you can go to trade shows
and look at a 720P VTR, camera, or telecine does not mean that it is
possible to purchase all the myriad pieces of kit that comprise a
SYSTEM. If you don't believe me, just ask Digital Vision for a
quotation on a 720P DVNR!

4. Phillips has informed me multiple numbers of times that they will
suport *any* pixel count/line rate stated in the ATSC A/53
document  that its customers require. How do I know this? I have a
Spirit. That's how!

Dave Satin
Executive Vice President       212.226.7474/V
Director of Engineering        212.941.0439/F
SMA Video Inc.

100 6th Avenue 10th Floor
New York, N.Y. 10013-1689

---
thanks to Tarcis Verfaillie for support of the TIG in 1998
TIG subscriber count is 908 on Wed Dec 17 05:21:41 PST 1997