Re: Y2K, HDTV and Telecine

Bill Hogan wrote:

> This recorder will record the current HDTV digital standard of 1920 x
> 1080 at 60(or 59.94) interlaced fields per second.  Also it was
> announced  that it would record full bandwidth RGB (no transcoding) at
> 1920 x 1080 24 Frames per second PROGRESSIVE.

My take from Sony, as Craig Nichols stated, is that this machine is
indeed a compressed video recorder. Thus the claims of multi format
input capability. If fact the unit qualifies more as a data recorder
that runs at video rate than a real 'video' recorder.

The input interface, much like the D5 HD compressor/decompressor, will
have multiple format capability. What I'm not sure of is how flexable
the output interface is for format conversion. Can I record 1080i  at  60
and output 720P  at  59?

This brings up the next issue of telecine outputs. Are Phillips and
Cintel going to supply multiple format outputs on their units? Are after
market developers going to take a serious stab at the replacment
Digi-scan/store systems?? Only time will tell!

>>>Hey Bill, I Listen; but only hear some of the time!!<<< [:-}

Ron Martin
Universal HDTC / DVCC

---
John Abt of AJA Video in Grass Valley supports the TIG in 1997-8
TIG subscriber count is 906 on Tue Dec 16 13:13:03 PST 1997

Follow-Ups: References: