Re: Kodak Telecine Shading Filters

Ever find yourself on the edge of a group at a party, listening to
everything that has to be said, wishing like hell you could add to the
conversation but not having anything to say?  Totally intimidated by the
intellects holding forth?

That's me and the T.I.G.  But, nothing a couple of beers won't cure ... Hand
me the speaking staff, please, I think I have something to say.

I am totally impressed with the Teleshade Filter.  Living proof that a grain
of sand stuck in a sensitive area will eventually yield a pearl.  A grain of
sand that has been there from the word go, and with every improvement to the
rest of the chain, has become more apparent.  To switch metaphors, a fishy
smell eminating from the light path of all Cintel Telecines.

We took delivery on a new Gold in early '97, and shortly after I started
getting rumblings from our colorists that things were not what they should
have been, shading wise.  The Ursa Autoshade was incapable of dealing with
all the inherent green shading error.  A look back in the TIG archives
(Thanks, Rob) showed this was not an isolated problem, it had been worked
over some, but the interim answer for the fussy types was manual shading -
most frustrating.  Months ago I heard rumors about an optical solution, then
nothing.  I kept asking around.  We're a bit off the beaten track here and I
get paranoid about this sort of thing.  Eventually news floated back via the
grapevine.  (Thanks, Scott).  It existed.  It had a name.  It had a price,
$400, hard to beat.  (Thanks, Bill).  Even if it didn't work, that's no
gamble.  Diddling around with the arcane manual shading on an Ursa with
daVinci can chew through that in hurry.  I probably went through that much
in tooth enamel after being told by a noted Telecine Manufacturer's tech
support staff that such a problem couldn't exist, "You must be measuring it
wrong."  Arrggghhh.

Do an auto align on your Ursa.  Put up some flat field neg (Mid grey of the
TKG chart works great). Turn off the shading.  Look at the h-tilt in the
green channel.  Skeptics should flip the film at this point to prove the
film is flat (it's only close).  Smell anything?  Dead herring, perhaps?

Buy the filter, take the ten minutes to put it in.  Repeat the process.
See?  No more fishy smell.  I've looked at that fundamental green h-tilt on
Cintel Telecines for 15 years and you know what?  I don't miss it a bit.

To the people responsible from Kodak and Sprocket Digital, thanks for a
wonderful bit of work.  The only thing I got from them was the filter and
the feeling of quality when I looked at the results, and that was more than
enough.

Merry Christmas, all.  A special extra thanks to Rob for this weird and
wonderful forum called the T.I.G.

Shutting up now,
Pat Brunsdon
Engineering Manager
Asia Pacific Videolab
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Photons have Mass.  I didn't even know they were Catholic!

---
John Abt of AJA Video in Grass Valley supports the TIG in 1997-8
TIG subscriber count is 906 on Tue Dec 16 00:45:21 PST 1997