The best computer...

     MACs, PCs, UNIX - Ha!  The most amazing computer of all was the Radio
Shack Color Computer 3.   Running on the same Motorola 68B09 chip that
powered the legendary TOPSY, this little wonder ran OS/9, a true modular
multitasking OS.
     OK, so it was my first computer.  My point is whatever system we bought
into is a good one.  (You should have seen how well that thing could
scroll...)
     I'll bet Amigas were wonderful.
     Our CoCo was replaced by a Tandy 1000, and from there we stayed in the
IBM/Microsoft/Intel world.  I recently bought my son a MAC PowerPC 6500 for
his college (they want every student to have a MAC) and while he says he
likes it well enough, he much prefers the Pentium PC we have at home now.  I
guess it's all a matter of what you're used to!
     One thing I like about PCs is being able to drop down to the DOS shell
now and then.  Sure the GUI is great, but every now and then something pops
up that is best investigated on a "lower" level.  To some folks, this isn't
a feature, but a setback (Windows being a kludge on top of DOS).  As the
definition goes:

Windows95: <win-doz-nin-te-fiv> n.  32 bit extensions and a graphical shell
for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4
bit microprocessor, written by a 2 bit company that can't
stand 1 bit of competition.

     Go figure.  So here we all are having a great time debating various
OSes when all in all the truth is that if it gets the job done for you it's
fine.  Come 2000 que sera sera (this old heap will need replacement by
then!).  And as Mike Orton has pointed out, in 2012 it won't make a whit of
difference anyway!  (My Buddhist son would smile and mutter something about
"Impermanence").
     Anyway, sorry to ramble on.  I promise my next post will have something
telecine related.  Besides a TOPSY reference, that is.

     One more thing:

        At a recent computer expo, Bill Gates compared the computer
industry with the auto industry announcing, "If General Motors had  kept up
with technology like the computer industry has, we would all be driving
twenty-five dollar cars that got 1000 mi/gal."
        General Motors responded to this comment by saying, "Yes, but
would you want your car to crash twice a day?"

     Bob Lovejoy
     Shooters Post and Transfer
     Cherry Hill, NJ

No electrons were harmed in the writing of this post.

---
** brag about your recent project in the bragbook:
	http://www.alegria.com/tig3/bragbook.html
TIG subscriber count is 905 on Tue Dec  9 19:12:46 PST 1997