Re: Mac vs. Windows again

Subject:
              Mac vs. Windows again
        Date:
              Tue, 09 Dec 1997 12:24:03 -0800
        From:
              Phil Mendelson <philm at hollydig.com>
          To:
              telecine at xyzoom.alegria.com

At 07:27 AM 12/9/97 -0800, Rob wrote:
>On Dec 9,  1:24, Martin Euredjian wrote:
>} Subject: Re: 2000
>
>> 3-  PC's have always been about what is economically realistic and
>> marketable.  Not about bleeding-edge stuff that nobody is willing to pay
>> for or even have a need for.  Hardware is now cheap, memory plentiful and
>
>well, that may be true Martin, but if it weren't for the Mac
>(actually, the Lisa, Apple's model for the Mac) Microsoft wouldn't
>have had a model for Windows.  One is an innovator, the other is a
>usurper, subverter and monopolist.

Not quite......Microsoft could just as well have taken the Xerox Alto
and
Star systems as models the same way Steve Jobs did (if they were in the
hardware business).  That's bold to assume they would never have figured
it
out.
I had occasion to see and play with a Xerox Star: built in ethernet
(courtesy of Bob Metcalf), (something that Steve Jobs, at the time, said
was inappropriate for a desktop machine); a suite of office applications
that came bundled with the machine; and a rather crude GUI that Jobs and
his team really finessed into something elegant.
.....not that I don't think Gates is a subverter and monopolist.....:)

Phil

Phil Mendelson      philm at hollydig.com
                    philm at deltanet.com
"Animals are our friends...............
but they won't take us to the airport."

Anarchist of the world unite!

While I am not neccecarily anti Mac, I do believe that the best thing
that Apple ever created was the 1984ish Introductory commercial!       [
Red shorts and all!]

Alfredo Serra       alfredo_serra at popstudios.com
                    alfredoserra at msn.com

[Yes I know I'm contributing Bill's fortune, but since he's the Richard
M. Nixon* of the software industry,** I consider the money I spend with
MSN as having a certain entertainment value.
What the heck, he says he is going to give his fortune away anyway!   [
yea right!]

*[hopefully sans the Watergate thing.]
**[ i.e. Everybody has to take a shot at him.]

---
** brag about your recent project in the bragbook:
	http://www.alegria.com/tig3/bragbook.html
TIG subscriber count is 905 on Tue Dec  9 14:56:11 PST 1997