Re: 2000

In a message dated 97-12-08 03:21:41 EST, Dick Hobbs wrote:

<< As has been proved too many times, the world prefers the dull and
unimaginative second-best solution to the bold and new.  Why else do we all
have VHS recorders at home? >>

It's called survival of the fittest, 'fittest' not necessarily being
equivalent to 'best' in any particular way.

If it's true that Macs won't crash when the year 2000 rolls around, it'll be
the biggest news item of the new millenium, seeing how the ones here crash all
the time now.  Something for us to look forward to in two years!  On
DOS/Windows machines, all you have to do is set the clock back a few years and
the computer won't be the wiser.  Probably nobody else will either; for a
while anyway.

As for Unix, its clock doesn't expire until 2030.  If all goes well, I hope to
retire in 2029.

Best regards,
Christopher Bacon

---
Thanks to Bruce Goldstein for support of the TIG in 1997
TIG subscriber count is 906 on Mon Dec  8 12:01:28 PST 1997