Why not steady speed with 3:2 pulldown?

(Thanks Rob, for allowing us with limited knowledge to ask potentially
stupid questions)

 - Why does NTSC telecine still run the film intermittent over the gate?

When visiting a European telecine plant I learned that the Rank runs
the film in a continuous motion pass the gate. This in order to get a
more steady picture. (PAL 25fps, and with anamorphic type lens
compensating for otherwise "squashed" pictures)

I understand the 3:2 pulldown has the film sitting longer on every other
frame. However, with todays frame stores, would it not be easy to have
the film go by at a steady speed and let the frame store take care of
the delay?

Lars Lundeberg
Master Control Op,  Fox Sports West,  Los Angeles.

---
Thanks to Jeff Descombes & Bill Hogan of Sprocket Digital
     for support of the TIG in 1997
TIG subscriber count is 884 on Sat Nov  8 00:30:25 PST 1997