Re: Kodak Primetime

On Nov 6, 20:58, "Magda Medianeira S. Palma" wrote:
} Subject: Kodak Primetime

> Hi, people

Oi Magda!  tudo bem?

> 	I started a new work to broadcast and it needs to use  KODAK
> PRIME TIME negative.In Brazil this negative isn't used yet, and  I'm
> looking information about the result in the Telecine.

Magda, I think it was about two years ago that we had some discussion about
Prime Time negative.

...I've just done a search on the archives and I see that it was in
June 1995 that we talked about this film, before you were subscribed
Magda.  I'll repost here some of Mike Most's comments, which are
available, along with comments from others, at
http://www.alegria.com/telecine/mhonarc/1994-5/msg00793.html

MM on printing Primetime (em breve: nao faz positivo!)

---It's designed ONLY for television work. The response curves have
been altered to respond in an optimized manner for video transfer (and
scanning). Because of the changes (mostly in the peak red layer
response), the stock will not print correctly on film (I believe there
would be cyan lowlights and magenta highlights, but it could be the
other way around - in any case, it does not yield a projectible
print). I think Kodak has been somewhat evasive and confusing on this
subject, by claiming that you can print to an IP and then make dupes
from there. This implies that during the 2 stage intermediate process,
you can correct for the video optimized colorimetry, when, in fact,
you cannot. All you accomplish is the creation of a new dupe neg that
will not print correctly either, but is correctable in an electronic
transfer.---

MM on the response of the film:

---The primary complaints I've heard (mostly from cameramen who shot
pilots on the stock; Eastman "seeded" the pilot DP's with a few
million feet for free) and seen have been the "overprotection" of the
highlights. Kodak changed the response curves (this is in addition to
the colorimetry changes I mentioned above) to give far more
overexposure protection than any stock ever made. Many of us feel they
went too far -- the stock has a distinctly "flat" look as a
result. One cameraman was particularly bothered that in order to "blow
out" a window (intentionally), he lit it 5 stops over -- and it wasn't
enough! This is an issue that Chris Dumont (a friend and the lead
engineer on the project for Kodak) discussed with myself and Mike
Robin (co-executive producer on NYPD Blue) about a month ago. I wasn't
able to attend Chris' presentation last week, but at the time we
discussed altering the curves one more time to cut back a bit on the
overexposure protection.  BTW, the response of at least 3 cameramen
that I worked with, after tests, was to rate the allegedly 640 ASA
stock at 320 (one even went to 250) to get a little more
"pizazz". Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. For me, the high
point of Primetime is its color pallette - far better separation than
anything I've seen, particularly in terms of retention of mixed
light. It seems to hold on to warm practicals and colors like pure
yellow even when you time the shot to be on the cool side
overall. That's nice, and it prevents you from having to use
secondaries to retain these colors artificially. It's also quite good
at handling mixed color temperatures. The bottom line is: if you work
in television, you're going to transfer a lot of Primetime. That's
because they're pricing it about a nickel a foot lower than 5298 --
and making some very sharp deals to certain producers as well. This
repositions 98 as a "premium" stock that will be used primarily for
features and commercials, but the price differential will assure that
Primetime will largely replace it for television.

One final note -- according to everything I've heard, there are
currently no plans to introduce Primetime in 16mm.---

(end of comments from Mike Most of Encore Video, Hollywood)

Magda, se voce quiser um pouco da cima em (meu chato) portugues, me escreve.

--Rob Lingelbach
TIG Administrator
Senior Colorist, Pacific Ocean Post
Santa Monica, CA

rob at alegria.com         | "I care not much for a man's religion whose dog or
rob at info.com            |  cat are not the better for it."  --Abraham Lincoln
rob at cloister.org                KB6CUN   http://www.alegria.com

---
thanks to Bill Varley of Command Post & Transfer of Toronto for
support of the TIG in 1997
TIG subscriber count is 883 on Thu Nov  6 18:28:52 PST 1997