Re: Unix and NT

In a message dated 97-11-04 13:47:56 EST, Jim wrote:

<< But this year NT out-sold all variants of Unix combined, for the
 first time, and this is not lost on the developers of third-party tools.
 One can expect that platforms and applications will be more cost effective
 on NT due to ecomony of scale and intense competition.  In short, for the
 lucrative middle ground, NT is now "good enough" and the tired old arguments
 sound like hair splitting to me.  >>

While NT is going like gangbusters, Novell is taking a beating; DOS, OS/2,
and Windows 3.x are dead, and Macintosh is lingering by a thread; and it's
getting to the point where nobody wants to be caught holding the bag when
Win95 goes out the window next year and we get the new-and-unimproved '97 or
'98 model Windows that is supposed to look like NT with a Win95 facelift.  I
think Unix platforms are actually becoming more popular than in previous
years (even if their sales still don't compare to standard PCs), due in no
small part to the popularity of the SGI O-2 and Octane.

Martin continues:

<< [...NT boxes are easy to crash...]  I think that's a myth.  I'm of the
opinion that most problems with NT4.0 boxes can be traced down to hardware
that is not listed on the HCL or dirty setups. >>

So much for newer-better-faster-cheaper hardware!

<< You have thousands of designers trying to make them cheaper, faster,
better. The
video cards we have today, for example, are insane when compared to those
available just a few years ago. It is only logical to conclude that, with
time, these machines will become more than fast enough to perform well in
areas that are currently considered "high end". >>

I think it's really a shame that we broke up a perfectly good phone company
just because it got so big the government couldn't figure out how to regulate
it, while they let the Microsoft/Intel cartel grow much fatter on these
perpetual hardware-software planned obsolescence cycles.  Maybe they will do
something about it one of these days, who knows?

But in the mean time, no one type of computer platform or operating system
can or will ever be optimal for all tasks.  And as the tasks become bigger
and more difficult (as in the "data" part of the Datacine that Philips
recently announced, which runs on a SGI Origin 2000 or Onyx 2), the need for
different types of powerful computers will grow, not diminish.  General
Motors may sell a hundred thousand times more cars than trucks every year,
but that should not be taken as an indication that a car will ever be built
that is capable of doing what a truck does, nor should it.

Christopher Bacon

---
thanks to Bill Varley of Command Post & Transfer of Toronto for
support of the TIG in 1997
TIG subscriber count is 882 on Thu Nov  6 08:01:55 PST 1997