Re: SGI

On Nov 5,  2:31, Martin Euredjian wrote:
} Subject: Re: SGI

> Well, yes, but how many of those processes are really consuming
> significant cpu time. If you run the "top" command, how much of a load
> are they really?

loads sometimes approach cpu saturation 1) when Excite and glimpse do
their indexing of the TIG archives; 2) during innd's expire.  It's
true that most of the time the cpu is loafing along, but sometimes the
load approaches high percentages, and as well I think of adding more
memory to its 64MB.  On the Ultra with 128MB, it's illuminating to use
lsof to see that there are 2227 files open during periods of low
activity.  When glimpse runs on this machine, and I happen to be using
gcc or something else fairly crunchy, load is kind of high...and
crashing is a foreign concept.

anyway, this has gone beyond telecine a bit too much perhaps.

--Rob
TIG Admin
Senior Colorist
Pacific Ocean Post, Santa Monica, CA

rob at alegria.com         | "I care not much for a man's religion whose dog or
rob at info.com            |  cat are not the better for it."  --Abraham Lincoln
rob at cloister.org                KB6CUN   http://www.alegria.com

---
thanks to Bill Varley of Command Post & Transfer of Toronto for
support of the TIG in 1997
TIG subscriber count is 881 on Wed Nov  5 07:41:14 PST 1997