Re: Ms. Masucci and Chroma

On Wed, 5 Nov 1997 04:19:18 -0500  KA2IQB at aol.com wrote:

>The 75% or 100% designation refers to the RGB values used to make the bars.
> 100% bars is used for setting up camera encoders, among other things, but
>they contain some levels that are too high to transmit.  75% bars represents
>a fully broadcastable signal.

Yes, and note that this is TRAMNSMISSION-defined; 100% BARS is a totally
legal NTSC signal, this is why we keep fussing about transmitter legal as
opposed to gamut legal (for this discussion, anyway).

><< Could someone advise what overall NTSC levels are permissible ?
>
>This really depends on the client and what they intend to do with the
>finished product.

Another good point, Chris.  You really need to get (in writing) the delivery
specs for the final product.  Don't depend on a middleman; if the show is for
PBS, get the PBS specs, don't go by what any interim production company says,
because when the feces strikes the airscrew, you'll still be held accountable
since you were the last one with your hands on the buttons.

Bill Topazio, VP/Engineering     bt at mte.com     v:212-907-1225
Manhattan Transfer / Edit        New York, NY   f:212-687-2719