Re: SGI

On Nov 4, 20:39, Martin Euredjian wrote:
} Subject: Re: SGI

> Also, a server, particularly of the Internet/Mail flavor is really not
> a demanding application (unless you have a HUGE site). .... All you
> are doing is moving around a bunch of text files.  Once the software
> is stable

Well, it depends what server you're talking about.  Demanding does not
necessarily mean 'HUGE'.  On one of my Suns there are currently over
100 processes running, including +-30 httpd's, up to 50 sendmails
(actually exim) at a time, about 20 other assorted daemons (NFS,
automount, ntpd, named, vold, etc.), several cron jobs per hour,
various CGI scripts, Macintosh Application Environment (a virtual
Mac), all the usual underlying Unix processes, and when I happen to
upgrade or build an executable it sometimes hangs or dumps core until
I get it right....but it doesn't take the OS with it.  My experience
with NT 4.0 on a machine here is quite different...
-
--Rob Lingelbach
TIG Admin
Senior Colorist
Pacific Ocean Post, Santa Monica, CA

rob at alegria.com         | "I care not much for a man's religion whose dog or
rob at info.com            |  cat are not the better for it."  --Abraham Lincoln
rob at cloister.org                KB6CUN   http://www.alegria.com

---
thanks to South London Filter for support of the TIG in 1997
TIG subscriber count is 880 on Tue Nov  4 21:08:50 PST 1997