Re: SGI

At 09:10 AM 11/4/97 -0500, you wrote:
>I hope I am not out of line here, but Martin sent this direct to me and I
>guess some of you would want to read it.

It was intended for the group. Eudora caught me asleep!
Thanks for forwarding it.

>> Despite claims otherwise, NT
>> boxes are easy to setup, network, manage and use.
>easy to crash as well!  ;-)
> --Rob Lingelbach  (two Sun servers running continuously for two years,
>			knock on wood)

I think that's a myth.  I'm of the opinion that most problems with NT4.0
boxes can be traced down to hardware that is not listed on the HCL or dirty
setups.

Also, a server, particularly of the Internet/Mail flavor is really not a
demanding application (unless you have a HUGE site). A fast 386 running
good tight code (I'd write it in FORTH with some assembly) could easily
saturate a T1 line and do it all day long without problems. All you are
doing is moving around a bunch of text files.  Once the software is stable
most failure modes would take the form of hardware issues (hard drives,
power supplies) as opposed to software/OS inadequacies.

PC development has been a "distributed task" since day one.  You have
thousands of designers trying to make them cheaper, faster, better. The
video cards we have today, for example, are insane when compared to those
available just a few years ago.
It is only logical to conclude that, with time, these machines will become
more than fast enough to perform well in areas that are currently
considered "high end".  Look at the history of CAD software and
workstations before and after AutoCAD.  (Jim L. Do you remember when we
used to run AutoCAD version 1.2 on a Z80 based CPM system at Pac-Vid?)
It's just a matter of time.

-Martin Euredjian
 Telecine Engineer - Hollywood Digital
 Head Droid - Ai/Robotics

---
thanks to South London Filter for support of the TIG in 1997
TIG subscriber count is 880 on Tue Nov  4 20:40:20 PST 1997