Re: SGI

>On Nov 3, 15:38, Alan Lasky wrote:
>> I really don't want to get into an NT vs. SGI pissing match,  because
>> frankly, it isn't all that interesting of a discussion. However, do an
>
>Just as an aside, NT has a very long way to go to catch up to Unix in
>reliability, features, philosophy, and ubiquity.
>--Rob

I agree with both you and Alan that SGI makes by far the superior box, and
that Unix is a superior OS with a much larger high-end market penetration
than NT.

But it seems to me that if a company sells x number of boxes a year, and
after several years find themselves in a position where they have to lay
off 1000 people an "re-boot" themselves to stay solvent, then for whatever
reason they have not been selling the amount of boxes they needed to sell
to sustain themselves.

So the question is: why not?  Are the boxes too expensive? Did the
marketing/sales department overestimate demand?  Are people defaulting on
leases?  Is it competition from other box makers - Wintel or Sun? It may be
any, all, or none of the above. I don't know.

But I do know that it doesn't help SGI that NT can run SoftImage (however
slowly), that the Ultimatte software for SGI boxes is $25,000 while the
Adobe After Effects version (which works easily as well if not as fast) is
$1,500, and that you don't bounce 1000 people when things are going just
ducky.

And although I, too, "like to use the machines that get me home at
nite," the graphics and editing end of the business is rapidly being
invaded by people who work out of their homes, don't value their time in
the least, and are eager to pay less than half for a box that will take ten
times as long to get anything done.  Some of the messages in the graphics
and non-linear editing newsgroups and mailing lists make the hair on the
back of my neck stand up...

Bob Kertesz
BlueScreen LLC

The Ultimate in ULTIMATTE compositing.

thanks to Allan Taylor for support of the TIG in 1997
TIG subscriber count is 883 on Mon Nov  3 17:43:42 PST 1997