Re: SGI

On Mon, 3 Nov 1997 13:22:03 -0500, you wrote:
>I have just heard that SGI has laid off 1,000 staff. Anyone know any more?

I guess Windows NT is cutting into their low end business in a serious way.

There seems to be less and less advantage to owning a lower end SGI
workstation as opposed to a high end NT workstation for general purpose
graphics work, especially since the NT box can be had for a lot less money.

This seems to be especially true for software, where the same package seems
to costs a LOT more when ported to the SGI platform.

Bob Kertesz
BlueScreen LLC

The Ultimate in ULTIMATTE compositing.

thanks to Allan Taylor for support of the TIG in 1997
TIG subscriber count is 882 on Mon Nov  3 12:10:22 PST 1997

Follow-Ups: References: