Re: Overnight Colourists

On Mon, 27 Oct 1997 00:28:40 -0700 lmiess at planet.eon.net (Lorne T. Miess)
writes:
>I am working on a project that requires me to work 1am to 9am.  I
>sleep 4
>hours in the morning and 4 hours before work.  What do other overnight
>
>colourists do for sleep?
>
>Lorne Miess
>Studio Post
>Edmonton

I work graveyard (midnight to 8am) shift doing dailies work. I sleep
roughly from 12pm to 6pm and then take another nap just before work from
10pm to 11pm. This last nap is for psychological reasons so that I feel
like I'm getting up for work like a normal person.
On a previous shift (3am-11am) I slept in two 4 hour blocks like you're
proposing, but I found it less than satisfactory. Even when I only get 5
or 6 hours, I feel better for the long block than the 2 short ones.
Of course, the real key to day sleeping is Melatonin. You can get it at
most health food stores and some drug stores. Melatonin is called
Nature's Sleeping Pill, and is also used by flight crews to prevent jet
lag. It is a hormone that your body produces naturally when the sun goes
down to help you sleep. I highly recommend it to anyone who has to sleep
days.
Good luck and I'm interested to see other responses on the TIG.

CB Gaines, colorist
Monaco Video, San Francisco, CA

---
TIG subscriber count is 877 on Mon Oct 27 21:50:09 PST 1997

Follow-Ups: References: