Re: Re: Kodak and Cineon

Chris Bacon writes:

>My impression of the current situation in digital effects is that it was a
>big buzzword a couple of years ago.  A lot of people thought they were going
>to find quick fame and fortune in this new field, and as a result, more
>capacity was installed than there was real demand for.  So now there's a
>small shake-out going on.

Great point.  Shake away!  (Shake your moneymaker?)

My only hope is that there will be more films that depend on qualities
other than monstrous EFX...  but I doubt that this will help stem the
tide.

I do think that DuArt's use of the Cineon to do titles on the blowup of
Ulee's Gold points to the future of blowups and printing intermediates
all going through a computer on the way to a film recorder.  Just imagine
the ability to tweak gamma scene by scene, use colorist tricks instead of
timer tricks, clean up glitches and dust and dirt...  that will be very
powerful, and I'd guess that an "fully integrated" lab like DuArt will be
one of the early adopters of this technology.  Just waiting for faster
film recorders.  The cool thing is that if there were a cheap and fast
film recorder, one could write a one-off answer print or blowup directly
to film -- including optical track -- right on that recorder.  It would
be revolutionary and cool...

John Snopes
dreaming in Muncie

---
++ Thanks to Jesper Andersen of Copenhagen for support of the TIG in 1997 ++
TIG subscriber count is 877 on Thu Oct 23 19:29:07 PDT 1997