Re: crisp 16mm pictures

grant.petty at digitalvoodoo.net wrote on 10/22/97 11:27 AM the following:

>you would
>get some really nice looking images, providing you are not having problems
>with the shoot or processing.

I agree with you. The problem with 16mm in India is with processing and
printing.

Mohit Shetty (Quality Cine Labs) could correct me. I have been away from
India for last five years. I pioneered the use of 16mm in India and gave
up in sheer frustration because the lack of 'proper' post production
facilities. Quality Labs is one of the pioneers but in my view they took
the wrong approach to 16mm production.

People in India work from camera negative, have no A & B roll printing,
not adequate 16mm sound recording and re-recording, and so on. Telecine
transfer can keep the quality in transfer but cannot correct for the
losses in processing and printing stage.

The shoot in my opinion is world quality, and original film processing
has considerably improved, but from then on is a downhill road.

Anil Srivastava

---
++ Thanks to Biggi Klier of Munich for support of the TIG in 1997 ++
TIG subscriber count is 874 on Wed Oct 22 13:25:58 PDT 1997