Re: Costs for Dailies Transfer

Hello Raul:

I know there are some facilities that charge by the foot for dailies,
but that is typically for MOS transfers.  Here in LA it's usually an
hourly rate.  Facilities often quote package rates, but they are usually
based on some type of time estimate.  As for how much time it takes,
it's been my experience that a good rule of thumb is 5 times the footage
length for 16mm and 3 times the footage length for 35mm.  It's also been
my experience that rarely does a dailies transfer go off perfectly,
there are always variables that lengthen transfer time like whether or
not the client requires a flex file disk, lots of short takes,
unreadable smart slates, inadequate audio time code roll ups, tail
slates, and short ends with lots of keycode splices.  My estimates
include some of these variables, but something to keep in mind is that
it's probably better to over-estimate the transfer time a little than to
under-estimate it.   Clients are seldom happy when you go over the
scheduled time, and always happy when you finish early.

Phil Voss
Blue Water Post
Burbank, CA