Re: Regional coding on DVD players

>  A little off topic but anyway....
>
>  In Australia there are certain individuals who will recode a DVD Player
>  with a regon 0 code for about A$150 (US$100).  The regon 0 code allows
>  disks from any regon to be played.  I don't know if this is legal or
>  not.  Perhaps someone in the group can clarify this.

I understand from our Chinese distributor that this modificaton is made
routinely in electronics shops throughout Hong Kong and mainland China.  They
apparently don't charge anything for the modification and it would be quite
unusual to find a DVD player in China that did NOT use the Region 0 code.

Hugh Heinsohn
Digital Vision

---
Thanks to Larry Andrick of Foto-Tronics for support of the TIG in 1997
HDTV discussion thread is at http://www.alegria.com/telecine/hdtv.txt
TIG subscriber count is 872 on Sat Oct 18 10:29:54 PDT 1997