Re: DVD

On Tue, 14 Oct 1997 21:43:11 +1000, you wrote:
>Jim Lindelien wrote:
>In Australia there are certain individuals who will recode a DVD Player
>with a regon 0 code for about A$150 (US$100).  The regon 0 code allows
>disks from any regon to be played.  I don't know if this is legal or
>not.  Perhaps someone in the group can clarify this.

There are already new, modified, Sony units being advertised in the various
newsgroups that have not only that mod done, but all copy protection
defeated.

It is a fantasy that protection on anything (software or hardware) will
work for long.

The best that can be done is what the DSS people did: build in a second (or
more) undocumented layer of protection, then switch to it when things hit
critical mass (the DSS people had to get new access cards to every legal
subscriber, but figured they turned off tens or maybe even hundreds of
thousands of illegal boxes).

Bob Kertesz
BlueScreen LLC

The Ultimate in ULTIMATTE compositing.

Thanks to Bob Sliga for support of the TIG in 1997
HDTV discussion thread is at http://www.alegria.com/telecine/hdtv.txt
TIG subscriber count is 871 on Wed Oct 15 07:08:30 PDT 1997