RE: Advice on Cintel ADS2

The ADS2 will give you nice crisp pictures. However its use would be
better served as a dailies transfer machine. The problem is that you
cannot practically programme colour corrections even though the Amigo
programmer was adapted for it. You should also check that the ADS2 has
stainless steel skid plates. Some were sold (as the ADS1's) with Delrin
(plastic) skid plates that wore out and then scratched the film if you
didnt keep your eye on it. I believe that all ADS2's have roller guides
on either side of the gate but if not (ADS1's had fixed plastic guides
that wore out and scratched the film) consider rejecting the machine or
spending a few thousand pounds on upgrading.
Once you have an up to date ADS2 it will be a reliable low maintenance
machine that will just keep going and going. Lamp changes and alignment
will be the only worry and that alignment is easily learnt.
If the ADS2 has the Dirt concealment option it is a very nice way of
getting rid of random dust on neg , however if there is too much dirt or
scratches the corrections can look worse than the original.
Panscan is another option again not programmeable and didnt make it on
to many ADS2's. Even without Panscan you will have the possibility of
doing letterbox.
If i can be of further assistance please email me
Graham Collett