Re: Digi beta

Hi Graham,

I know exactly what you mean. This colour shift problem between
stop and run exists since Digital Betacam was born. It causes trouble
especially during colour grading with a Digi-Beta as main or reference
source of a digital colour processor.

The fact is that "stop" on a Digi-Beta-VTR is not a legal working
condition, even if switched to "PB" and a picture can be seen on the
SDI video output in "stop". To see the true picture, "jog" should be
active without turning the wheel (or step one frame for- or backwards
with the remote-/edit-/telecine-controller). Please note that the still
timer will set the VTR back to "stop" again, also current controller
do so after "preroll", "cue" or things like these.

As this is all a little boring, I've worked out a soluton for this
problem some time ago:
Use the Digi-Beta-Framestore to override the discussion above. Set
position 906 of the extended user menu to enable, this function is
named "stop freeze control". If you do so, the VTR keeps the last
field or frame frozen when hitting "stop", the picture looks exactly
the same as in "play" or "jog", no colour shift any more. Please note
that you can do also full frame resolution in stop (if position 121
"DT mode" is set to "frame") and the picture remains also after
the VTR has unthreaded the tape (standby off, but tape in). Here you
can save running hours of your head drum, because there is no need
any more to keep it running to get a still image (decrease your still
time, if you want).

I hope this helps to "bypass" your green/magenta colour shift, it has
nothing to do with MSB/LSB or SDI video path, that's all o.k.!

Stefan
--
Stefan Sedlmeier
Engineering Manager

---
  HDTV discussion thread is at http://www.alegria.com/telecine/hdtv.txt
    Thanks to Rick Anthony of DuArt for support of the TIG in 1997
      TIG subscriber count is 859 on Wed Oct  8 05:23:42 PDT 1997