FM again

Jim Lindelien wrote:

>David Sarnoff and his RCA empire, exercising considerable control over the
>FCC, contributed to FM's lackluster market penetration early on (as he did
>not control FM's Patents), and likely contributed to the untimely death--by
>suicide, from a highrise window--of Dr. Armstrong, inventor of FM.

For whatever it is worth (not much probably), Edwin Armstrong was referred
to as "Major". He was friends with General Sarnoff (who, unlike Armstrong,
did not deserve the title) for many years before business drove them apart.

Sarnoff had asked Armstrong to come up with a noise suppressor for AM, and
Armstrong came back with a whole new transmission system. This annoyed
Sarnoff. It was all (almost) all downhill from there. Mind who your friends
are.

Now we've REALLY diverged, but a little history never hurt that much.

Karl Rueby
Pacific Media Post
Beautiful Downtown Burbank

The tv business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway
where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.
                                    - Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

---
     ++Thanks to Graham Collett for support of the TIG in 1997++
      TIG subscriber count is 859 on Fri Oct  3 22:24:47 PDT 1997