FM

Christopher Bacon wrote:

>As a little bit of historical perspective, FM radio was introduced to the
>public in 1938.  Despite the fact that, as a mode of transmission, FM is
>superior to AM in many ways, the number of FM stations that closed in the
>1950s exceeded the number of new ones built.

David Sarnoff and his RCA empire, exercising considerable control over the
FCC, contributed to FM's lackluster market penetration early on (as he did
not control FM's Patents), and likely contributed to the untimely death--by
suicide, from a highrise window--of Dr. Armstrong, inventor of FM.  Small
time inventors with a better mousetrap: take note.

At this point, I'd say we've diverged from discussions of telecine...

-Jim

Real-time and high-performance hardware and software design since 1981
Jim Lindelien                           (Email to: jiml at timelogic.com)
Time Logic, Inc., 880 Northwood, Suite 1, Incline Village, NV 89451
Phone 702-833-0200 x11 Fax 702-833-1222  Web http://www.timelogic.com

---
         Thanks to Graham Collett for support of the TIG in 1997

      TIG subscriber count is 859 on Fri Oct  3 17:29:26 PDT 1997