RE: RE: HDTV WHY???

>The new DTV broadcasts will have no snow or ghosts.   When decoded in a
>set-top box and presented to the S-Video input of an NTSC television set
>they'll produce no chroma crawl either.   The net delivered quality to
>the consumer could be quite a bit better than that which one can receive
>via today's NTSC analog transmissions.

Sure, that is all true.  But most consumers seem pretty content watching
VHS tapes...  my bet is that (unless mandated - like CDs were over vinyl)
that DTV will have market penetration similar to laser disk.  Some people
care about quality, many do not.  And notice how few TVs have S-Video
inputs these days -- much harder to find than 3 or 4 years ago.

The small number of videophiles here brings to mind a record mastering
engineer I know who has no home stereo or car stereo...  he listens hard
during the day, and takes a break after that.  Kind of like you colorists!
(I assume your eyes can get quite bleary after a long day of making us
cinematographers look good...)

Wish I had a Predicta!

John Snopes
Muncie, Indiana

---
      Thanks to Hugh Waters & Tom Davy for support of the TIG

      TIG subscriber count is 854 on Tue Sep 30 03:00:51 PDT 1997