Re: RE: HDTV WHY???

>>    Secondly who is going to pay $7000 for a new TV not to mention VCR
>>for a system that the public isn't crying out for, let's face it 16:9
>>sets aren't exactly shifting as it is.
>
>Have to agree with you there, but what about set-top convertors (not
>unlike what is already sued for DSS, etc., which could sell for a few
>hundred and be a stopgap for the general population until CRT or other
>display devices (hold out for flat panel or DMD!) come down in price.

Yes, but what consumer in their right mind would want to pay $200-500 for
a box that lets them, well, receive TV signals in glorious NTSC?  I mean,
they can already do that!  The box would somehow improve their lives??

And what will happen to the cable industry -- as I understand it DTV/HDTV
won't pass through most cable headends...  and the cable boom is over --
at least to the extent that the industry hates to invest more money in
infrastructure unnecessarily.

That's my guess, anyway.

John Snopes
Muncie, Indiana

PS:  Forgive me for erroneously sending personal EMail to the entire
group.  I'm renting an Avid and used the EMail software on the machine...
 didn't check the addressees.  Sorry to everyone.

---

      TIG subscriber count is 855 on Mon Sep 29 14:52:46 PDT 1997